Medicinal herbs have been used for centuries to treat various conditions with limited side effects. Examples of commonly used herbs include echinacea and garlic for immune health, ginger and fennel for digestive health, and lavender and rhodiola for stress.
Dr. Kassam routinely uses botanical medicine in her practice. Some of her favourite herbs include:
- Berberine (Berberis sp.) - this herb also has a many uses, including anti-microbial, blood sugar regulation, blood pressure regulation, and may more. It is commonly used in the treatment of SIBO.
- Turmeric (Curcuma longa) - this herb is easily recognized by its bright yellow colour. Turmeric is not only used in traditional Indian cooking, but it also has a very strong anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant function. It is commonly used in pain management and cancer therapies.
- Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra) - this herb has a variety of functions, including hormone balance, stress management, and blood pressure regulation.
- DGL (de-glycyrrhized licorice) is commonly used in reflux and digestive orders as its mucilage properties soothe and coat the digestive system
- Ginsengs - there are a few varieties of ginseng, including Siberian, American, and Korean ginsengs. These all have slightly different properties, but help to manage stress, aid in recovery, and increase energy levels